Tuesday 24 January 2012

My Opinion On The 84th Academy Awards Nominations



Well, the nominated films for the 84th Academy Awards were announced today, and here's what I think (Each nominee is listed in order from Best to Worst, In My Opinion):

Best Picture Nominees:
1. The Artist
2. The Descendants
3. Hugo
4. Moneyball
5. Midnight in Paris
6. The Tree of Life
7. War Horse
8. The Help
9. Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close

My Opinion: 
Everything was good, except for a few choices. War Horse and The Help were picked over more acclaimed films, like Drive and A Separation, and Extremely Loud was a horrible pick by the Academy.

Best Director:
1. Michel Hazanavicius - The Artist
2. Terrence Malick - The Tree of Life
3. Martin Scorsese - Hugo
4. Woody Allen - Midnight in Paris
5. Alexander Payne - The Descendants

My Opinion:
Perfect choices. Can't get much better than these.

Best Actor:
1. Brad Pitt - Moneyball
2. Gary Oldman - Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy
3. Jean Dujardin - The Artist
4. George Clooney - The Descendants
5. Demian Bichir - A Better Life

My Opinion:
Good choices, and I like how they got an actor from a relatively unknown movie, like they did last year with Javier Bardem.

Best Actress: 
1. Michelle Williams - My Week with Marilyn
2. Meryl Streep - The Iron Lady
3. Viola Davis - The Help
4. Rooney Mara - The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo
5. Glenn Close - Albert Nobbs

My Opinion:
Good picks, but Glenn Close is not the best pick of the night.

Best Supporting Actor:
1. Christopher Plummer - The Beginners
2. Jonah Hill - Moneyball
3. Nick Nolte - Warrior
4. Kenneth Branagh - My Week With Marilyn
5. Max Von Sydow - Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close

My Opinion:
Plummer and Hill were excellent picks, and Nolte was good too, but Branagh isn't the best, and Von Sydow really shouldn't have been here.

Best Supporting Actress:
1. Octavia Spencer - The Help
2. Berenice Bejo - The Artist
3. Melissa McCarthy - Bridesmaids
4. Jessica Chastain - The Help
5. Janet Mcteer - Albert Nobbs

My Opinion:
Jessica Chastain probably shouldn't be there, as it's kinda unfair to have two people from one movie in the same category, and Mcteer doesn't seem welcome to the Academy with the movie she's in.

Best Writing - Original Screenplay: 
1. Midnight in Paris
2. A Separation
3. Bridesmaids
4. The Artist
5. Margin Call

My Opinion:
Nice choices, with no real flaws.

Best Writing - Adapted Screenplay:
1. The Descendants
2. Hugo
3. Moneyball
4. Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, spy
5. The Ides of March

My Opinion:
Take out The Ides of March, because George Clooney's already in The Descendants, and besides that, good choices.

Best Animated Feature:
1. Rango
2. Chico & Rita
3. Puss in Boots
4. Une Vie de Chat
5. Kung Fu Panda 2

My Opinion:
Take out Kung Fu Panda 2 and Une Vie de Chat and put in Arthur Christmas and The Adventures of Tintin. That's all I ask.

Best Foreign Language Film:
1. A Separation
2. In Darkness
3. Bullhead
4. Monsieur Lazhar
5. Footnote

My Opinion:
Great choices, but take out Footnote or Monsieur Lazhar and put in Pina.

Best Documentary - Feature:
1. Pina
2. If A Tree Falls
3. Undefeated
4. Paradise Lost 3: Purgatory
5. Hell and Back Again

My Opinion:
Take out Hell and Back Again.

Best Documentary - Short Subject:
1. The Barber of Birmingham
2. Incident in New Baghdad
3. God is the Bigger Elvis
4. Saving Face
5. The Tsunami

My Opinion;
The Tsunami isn't the best choice, but otherwise, good choices.

Best Live Action Short Film:
1. Pentecost
1. Raju
1. The Shore
4. Time Freak
4. Tuba Atlantic

My Opinion:
Not sure. I barely even heard of these movies, so I just went with research.

Best Animated Short Film:
1. La Luna
2. Dimanche
2. Wild Life
4. A Morning Stroll
4. The Fantastic Flying Books of Mr. Morris Lessmore

My Opinion:
Again, research based only, except I heard good thing about La Luna, so that's number 1.

Best Original Score:
1. The Artist
2. Hugo
3. War Horse
4. The Adventures of TinTin
5. Tinker, Tailor, Soldier Spy

My Opinion:
Maybe Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy shouldn't be here, but everything else is good.

Best Original Song:
1. Man or Muppet - The Muppet's
2. Real in Rio - Rio

My Opinion:
Both are good, but I'll give this one to The Muppet's.

Best Sound Editing:
1. Drive
2. Hugo
3. War Horse
4. Transformers: Dark of the Moon
5. The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo

My Opinion:
WHERE'S HARRY POTTER?

Best Sound Mixing:
1. Hugo
2. War Horse
3. Transformers: Dark of the Moon
4. The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo
5. Moneyball

My Opinion:
WHERE'S HARRY POTTER?


Best Art Direction:
1. Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Part 2
2. Hugo
3. War Horse
4. The Artist

My Opinion:
Excellent choices.

Best Cinematography:
1. The Tree of Life
2. The Artist
3. Hugo
4. War Horse
5. The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo

My Opinion;
Great choices, but Drive should have been there instead of The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo, just barely though.

Best Makeup:
1. The Iron Lady
2. Albert Nobbs
3. Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Part 2

My Opinion:
Harry Potter over My Week with Marilyn? Please.

Best Costume Design:
1. The Artist
2. Jane Eyre
3. Hugo
4. W.E
5. Anonymous

My Opinion:
My Week With Marilyn? Hello?

Best Film Editing:
1. The Artist
2. Moneyball
3. The Girl with The Dragon Tattoo
4. Hugo
5. The Descendants

My Opinion:
Great choices. Little flaws.

Best Visual Effects:
1. Rise of the Planet of the Apes
2. Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Part 2
3. Hugo
4. Transformers: Dark of the Moon
5. Real Steel

My Opinion:
The Tree of Life should replace Real Steel.

What did you think about the nominations? Leave your opinions down below!




 

2 comments:

  1. -Real Steel over The Tree of Life = bad

    -No Harry Potter and Mission Impossible in the sound categories = bad

    -Just 2 songs = bad

    -I know Tintin isn't animated movie but a motion capture or live action one but where is Arthur Christmas??? = bad

    -No Michael Fassbender and Tilda Swinton in the acting categories is traversity.

    -Inclusion of Extremely Loud & Incredibly Close in best picture is horrible and in supporting actor over Albert Brooks is even more awful.

    -Thanks to them for including The Tree OF Life and giving it the utmost respect it deserves even though Drive isn't nominated :( :'(

    -They also nominated A Separation in the Original Screenplay category which was a flawlessly written movie.

    -I don't think including 2 actresses from a same movie is unfair, Doubt was a movie mainly known for the performances and it got 4 acting nominations. The Help to me is the best movie of the year only for the performances and nothing else.

    -I also mentioned in my predictions post the Pina will be considered a documentary which it is, i have seen it a bit on TV so they will want to nominate it there and will then give that place to another movie in the foreign film category.

    Sorry for such a long comment !! :P lol

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi, Neat post. There is an issue together with your site in web explorer, would test thisāļK IE still is the marketplace leader and a good part of people will pass over your fantastic writing due to this problem.
    Brine Vengeance Lacrosse Gloves

    ReplyDelete