Saturday 8 September 2012

Top 10 Best Best Picture Winners

Like I said in my last list, I haven't seen every Best Picture winner ever, but I can safely say there have been at least 10 films worthy of Best Picture. So, today, I'll count them down! I'll judge them by quality of the film, and the competition. So, let's begin!:

10. The Artist (2011)

Let's start this film with the most recent winner, The Artist. While I don't think The Artist should have won Best Picture, that's only because it was up against another one of my favorite films, Moneyball. However, The Artist is still a fantastic film, and besides a few flaws, it really does capture the silent era of film.

9. The Sound of Music (1965)

This is a film with plenty of imagination, but the characters and the story to back it up. Also, the direction by acclaimed filmmaker Robert Wise is just amazing. Even the songs have a nice melody and are very memorable. A lot of people dislike this film, but I personally love it.

8. Wings (1927)

This film often slips under peoples radars, even though it's the first Best Picture winner, which is sad, because this film is just outstanding. Besides one scene in the middle of the film, which is pretty bad, the rest of the film is very entertaining, well acted, well directed, and just all around classic. A definite watch.

7. All Quiet on the Western Front (1930)

While the 5 minutes of this film are kinda cartoonish and silly, the rest of the film is so gritty and so hardcore, I find it extremely hard to watch at times, especially for the amazing characters. You have to watch this film, but trust me, it's pretty hard to watch at points.

6. Mrs. Miniver (1942)

While the film itself is great, the two things that pushed it to a Best Picture win were the direction and the characters. You felt like these people were real, and it was almost like you were really there with them. The lighting is dark, but you can still see the action, the sets are sometimes small, but with the sound effects, it gets you on the edge of your seat, etc. No wonder this film got a sequel (I just wished it was good)!

5. Casablanca (1943)

What can I say, it's Casablanca! It's one of the most amazing romances you'll ever see, great story, characters, direction, acting, it's just an overall outstanding film. It's considered one of the best films of all time for a reason, you know.

4. On the Waterfront (1954)

The performances are by far the best part of this film, but that doesn't mean the rest of the film isn't awesome... Because it is. If you haven't seen On the Waterfront yet, watch it. NOW.

3. From Here to Eternity (1953)

Let's admit it right here, right now: 1953 was a pretty weak year for the Oscars, and I'm glad to see the only outstanding nominee of the bunch was the one to take home the biggest and best award. From Here to Eternity is probably the film I'd like to watch the most, it's epic, but well edited. Great story, but not a long run time. It's brilliant and timeless.

2. The Godfather (1972)

When I went into this film, I knew it would be long, and I expected myself to be bored, but surprisingly, it was a movie where I was glued to the screen the whole time. The first half is the build up, the second half is the pay-off, which isn't an uncommon thing, but the way this movie portrays it is so amazing, it's considered the second best film ever on IMDb, and why not?

1. The Great Ziegfeld (1936)

I know, lots of people hate this film, but it's my personal favorite film for a reason. From the opening scene, I was interested in the story, the main character, the relationships, everything, and from that moment on, it just gets better. Probably my favorite moment is the song sequence, where they show about 4-5 songs, and they're all amazing, epic, and all that stuff. If you're not a fan of musicals, you'll hate this film, but if you just give it a chance, you may end up loving it, like I do.

What's your 10 favorite? Leave your lists in the comments.

No comments:

Post a Comment