Tuesday 6 December 2011

Moneyball Review



The Social Network of baseball, and that's saying a lot, but do you know what? I came into The Social Network, already familiar with Facebook, and thought it was great. I came into this hating watching baseball as the games last to long, with so little game play, and walked out admitting it was one of my favorite films ever. That really shows the power of this film and it's creators. It's so good, I no longer hate Jonah Hill! Now that's awesome. The story's simple, the GM of the Oakland A's, Billy Beane, had suffered a blow to his team, with many star players no longer on the team, and he has a small budget, so him and a baseball researcher by the name of Peter Brand decide to reinvent the team with players no other team would pick up because of their physical or emotional flaws. It really makes sense as I watch Hockey a lot, and the exact same thing happens there, where teams don't sign players for physical flaws. So I was really interested in this plot. Also, the GM and his partner have to deal with losing streaks, criticism, getting rid of players, etc, so you really get intrigued and that leads to a very great interest in the characters, which is good because the characters have plenty of depth for people to enjoy. Now, let's discuss something I'm trying to make a trend in my reviews, The Best and Worst of the film. The best is very hard to decide, should it be the acting or the writing. Well, after a long time of consideration, I decided to go with the writing, just barely. The dialogue, the conflicts, the scenes, everything was outstanding. It flows perfectly, and the lines are so good, many of them are good enough to be the final line in the trailer. Also, the scenes where people are just sitting down and talking are really interesting and make you interested even more in what's going on. Now, the hard part. The Worst part about this film is... Oh, I got one. Even though I love the plot, it's been overdone to death and made this film feel slightly stale. There, I found one. Are you happy, the 10% of Flixster? You better be, because that's the only flaw I can find. Well, before I start wrapping things up, did anyone notice that as of November 18th, both my second favorite film (Curious Case of Benjamin Button) and my third (Moneyball) both star Brad Pitt? Maybe he should be a little higher on my favorite actors list... Save that for another time I guess. Overall, this movie is awesome, and definitely worth the hype, even for non-baseball fans, so I'd recommend it to everyone. It's really well made, filled with emotion and heart, as well as intelligence. Watch it when it get's to DVD/ Blu-Ray.




5/5



No comments:

Post a Comment