Thursday 8 December 2011

Winter Soldier (1972 Movie) Review



If you're reading this review just at random, you probably won't like this movie. It's a movie for a certain type of person. All it really is is just soldiers discussing the dehumanizing of war, but the descriptions are so solid and spoken by such interesting people, you can imagine the visuals in your mind, even if you don't want too. It's sad, really, not just the descriptions of war, but the history of this film. It was banned in the U.S for more than 30 years, with no TV company wanting to show it, so, for that time, few minor TV companies even showed this. Luckily, in 2005, the movie was re-released in theaters, receiving favorable reviews. Unfortunately, very few movie watchers actually went to see this movie in theaters, as you can see by the ratings, but the movie does have a DVD, so hopefully it's life will grow. I was lucky enough to find the movie on a certain instant streaming website (I won't name names, as I can't advertise websites on here if I want a chance at Super Reviewer), and the quality was decent, so I watched it, and I'm glad I did. The people in the movie talk about either witnessing or taking part in murder of civilians, each person regretting it more and more as they speak, it's powerful. You may actually recognize some of the soldiers in the movie, like Michael Oliver, Scott Camil, or John Kerry (Come back, come back). It's kinda hard watching the people that you thought was protecting you talk about them and everyone in the war becoming heartless killers. It's haunting and scary, but light seems to shine through. I really hope this movie get's famous soon. It's gone through 30 years of dust and dirt, and when it finally get's a re-release in theaters, the only people that go see it are nostalgic critics and, I'm suspecting hippies who still think it's the 70's who just want "PEACE". All jokes aside though, I'm glad that I went to watch this film, as now there are 4 movie reviews by users on this website to look at. But still, it all comes down to would I recommend it. No. Why? Cause like I said in the beginning of the review, this isn't a movie for all people. It's for the people that don't mind no straightforward story, or huge plot, and I know there are a lot of those people out there, they just don't know about this movie. So, if you're one of those people, watch this film and review it here, so the films history can grow. It's amazing and deserves more recognition.


5/5



No comments:

Post a Comment