Tuesday 6 December 2011

Star Trek Review






This is a pretty good film. Sure, the lighting gives you a headache, the acting is OK at best, and the special effects were not as good as I expected, but the tension, the character development, the action, and the atmosphere of the film just sucks you in from beginning to end. I think I had to many expectations though. First of all, I was hyped to see it. It looked sort of like a Star Wars in a way, so I was hyped. Also, the opening scene is amazing, the characters, even then, are interesting, and the action is amazing, the tension is high, the acting was great, but then that cast get's blown up, and a not as good cast enters the scene, and never again would an epic scene like that happen in the movie. That scene would have done better in the climax then the opening, wouldn't it? Oh well. Now, I should just mention this now for the people reading this: I never watched a Star Trek film. This is my first one, and even though the film was kind of a disappointment, I'm pretty much interested in both the TV series', and the film series('), as the plot, I think, could really spread out a long ways, and the past proves I'm right, with two TV series, a past movie series, this reboot, an animated TV series, etc, so I think if I watch enough films, I might get hooked. Really though, I don't have much to say about this movie, so instead of rambling about the good and bad, let's talk about the Best and Worst. By far the Best of this movie was, like I said, the opening scene. It sucks you in, packs a punch, and goes out with a twist, it was awesome. The worst of this film has to be a tie between a major thing that kinda annoyed me, and a minor thing that REALLY annoyed me. Those were the acting and the lighting. The acting was OK at times, but besides the opening, I didn't see an actor that really exploded off the screen, not even Nimoy! The worst of these actors has to be Cho, as Sulu. He was so annoying and pointless, I wish he just left the film altogether. Also, the lighting. I know, this didn't affect the final score of this movie, but seriously, it gave me a huge headache, and had no reason for being so bright. It really does a number on your eyes, I can tell you that! Oh well, it's not like I could do better (Actually, maybe I could. GET ME A CAMERA, I DARE YOU!). So yeah, this film has flaws, lots of them, but hey, it's a Sci-Fi film NOT directed by James Cameron, or has the name Star Wars (Excluding Episode 1, The Clone Wars movie, and that STUPID HOLIDAY SPECIAL!!!), so I guess I don't have to bash it like an actual film critic. So, I'll end my review here, and say that it's a fun popcorn movie with a good story for anyone over 13. Check it out.


3.5/5



2 comments:

  1. Hey :) i don't know whether you are interested or not but there is this very cool site GoldDerby.com that i just found out about ... you can bet and predict Awards there and can see the expert predictions too. i don't have any friends on it........ :P

    ReplyDelete